Parasitic meningitis caused by the amoeba, Naegleria fowleri, is being reported as the cause of death of a 48-year-old Karachi, Pakistan women, according to Pakistani media.
According to officials with the Sindh government, the patient had been suffering from extreme headaches, nausea and drowsiness for some days and died within one day of admission. The report does not say how she contracted the deadly amoeba.
This is the fourth amoeba death in Karachi in 2017. According to health officials, N.fowleri has killed 46 people across Sindh since 2011.
Save 9%! Pompeii and Amalfi Coast Semi-Private Day Trip from Rome
Naegleria fowleri (commonly referred to as the “brain-eating amoeba”), is a microscopic amoeba which is a single-celled living organism. It can cause a rare and devastating infection of the brain called primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM). The amoeba is commonly found in warm freshwater such as lakes, rivers, ponds and canals.
Infections can happen when contaminated water enters the body through the nose. Once the amoeba enters the nose, it travels to the brain where it causes PAM (which destroys brain tissue) and is usually fatal. Infections usually occur when it is hot for prolonged periods of time, which results in higher water temperatures and lower water levels.
LISTEN: Naegleria fowleri: An interview with Dr Jennifer Cope
Naegleria fowleri infections are rare. Most infections occur from exposure to contaminated recreational water. Cases due to the use of neti pots and the practice of ablution have been documented.
The practice of ablution is included in Yogic, Ayurvedic, and Islamic traditions. Within the Islamic faith, ritual nasal rinsing is included in a cleansing process called “wudu” or “ablution.” It is usually performed several times a day in preparation for prayer, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Save 10%! Acapulco Dine and Dive at La Quebrada Deluxe Tour
You cannot be infected with Naegleria fowleri by drinking contaminated water and the amoeba is not found in salt water.
Initial symptoms of PAM usually start within 1 to 7 days after infection. The initial symptoms may include headache, fever, nausea, or vomiting. Other symptoms can include stiff neck, confusion, loss ofbalance, seizures, and hallucinations. After the start of symptoms, the disease progresses rapidly. For more infectious disease news and information, visit and “like” the Infectious Disease News Facebook page